Feast Day of Our Lady Queen of Angels
“There was with the Angel a multitude of the Heavenly Army Praising God.” St. Luke, 2:13
Today we honor Mary as Queen of the Angels. As our thoughts fly up to heaven, we pass by all the nine choirs of Angels up to the very Throne of God, to behold the Queen of all these Heavenly Spirits. We can call Our Lady, Queen of the Angels, because she was more Favored by God than all the Angels, and She can and really does do more for our souls than the Heavenly Spirits could ever do. These spirits are the servants of God; but Our Blessed Lady is the Daughter of God the Father, Mother of God the Son, and Spouse and Temple of God the Holy Spirit. All through Her Life we see the Angels about our Blessed Mother:
1. We see the Archangel Gabriel announcing to the Blessed Virgin that she is to be the Mother of God. This Archangel salutes her, greets her, honors her, because he realized that Mary was his Queen.
2. At Bethlehem we hear the angels announce the birth of Jesus, the Son of God in a stable. “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men of good will.” There was a multitude of the heavenly army praising God, and honoring their Queen, even though she was a humble, simple Jewish Mother. These heavenly messengers came from the throne of God to tell the world that this Child was really the Son of God.
3. Again the angels enter Our Lady’s life when they warned St. Joseph to take the Child and flee into Egypt. What is the power of the sword, when the angels of God spread their wings to protect the Infant Son of God? The angels protected the Holy Family as they made that perilous, tedious trip to a foreign land, and also during their sojourn there.
4. After the Death and Resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the angels were at the tomb. One of them rolled away the stone and then announced: “Do not be afraid; for I know that you seek Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come and see the place where the Lord was laid.” (Matt. 28: 5) They helped Mother Mary to see her risen Son.
5. Finally, on Ascension Day two angels addressed the disciples, with Our Lady accompanying them, as they looked at the departing Master: “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up to heaven? This Jesus who has been taken up from you into heaven, shall come in the same way as you have seen Him going up to heaven.” (Acts 1:11)
6. According to an unquestionable tradition of Mother Church, Our Lady was taken into heaven by the hands of angels. Thus, all through her life messengers of the Almighty waited upon her, honored her, and brought her messages. Prayer and devotion to Our Lady, Queen of Angels, and all the choirs of angels throughout our life on earth and especially in death, gives us hope that we too will be assisted into heaven by their hands.
Even if, in the rush of time, we overlook or forget many of the Feasts of our Heavenly Queen, in Heaven nothing is overlooked or forgotten. On every day on which the holy Church on earth extols our Heavenly Mother, there occurs also a Feast in Heaven, except for the fact that there it is much more Solemn, Powerful, and Interior than it is upon our cold earth.
On the eleventh of February, 1858, The Immaculate Appeared to the little Bernadette Soubirous in Lourdes, and made this place from that day on an abode of Grace for the entire world. We did not see how many Angels hovered about their Queen during Her Appearance, but we can imagine that each and every one of them gladly Accompanied Her and Rejoiced over this infinite Condescension of Mary, as well as over the child Bernadette in her purity and innocence.
The Virgin Mary in the Kingdom – Day One – “Look at Me, dear child: thousands of Angels surround Me and, Reverent, are all in waiting, to hear Me Speak of that Divine Fiat whose Fount I Possess, more than anyone; I know Its Admirable Secrets, Its Infinite Joys, Its Indescribable Happiness and Its Incalculable Value.”
The Virgin Mary in the Kingdom – Day Six – “Now listen, My child: after the Triumph in the Test, the Divine Fiat took the Sixth Step in My soul by having Me take Possession of all of the Divine Properties, as much as it is possible and imaginable for the creature. Everything was mine – Heaven, earth, and even God Himself, Whose very Will I Possessed. I felt I was the Possessor of Divine Sanctity, of Love, of Beauty, Power, Wisdom and Goodness. I felt I was Queen of everything; nor did I feel a stranger in the House of My Celestial Father. I felt vividly His Paternity and the Supreme Happiness of being His Faithful Daughter. I can say that I grew up on the Paternal Knees of God, nor did I know other love or other science but that which My Creator Administered to Me. Who can tell you what this Divine Will did in Me? It Elevated Me So High, It Embellished Me So Much, that the very Angels remain mute, nor do they know where to begin to speak about Me.”
The Virgin Mary in the Kingdom – Day Ten – Dawn that rises to put to Flight the Night of the Human Will. Her Glorious Birth. The soul to the Queen of Heaven:
“Here I am, O Holy Mama, near Your cradle, to be spectator of your Prodigious Birth. The Heavens are Stupefied, the sun is fixed upon You with its light, the earth exults with joy and feels honored to be inhabited by its Little Newborn Queen; the Angels compete among themselves in Surrounding your cradle, to Honor You and to be ready for Your Wishes. So, all honor You and want to celebrate Your Birth.”
The Virgin Mary in the Kingdom – Day Eleven – “My cradle was Surrounded by Angels, who competed among themselves in Singing Lullabies to Me, as to their Sovereign Queen. And since I was Endowed with Reason and with Science, Infused in Me by My Creator, I did My First Duty to Adore, with My Intelligence, and also with My babbling little Voice of a baby, the Most Holy Adorable Trinity. And the Ardor of My Love for a Majesty So Holy was So Great that, feeling Myself languishing, I was Delirious for wanting to be in the Arms of the Divinity, to receive Their Embraces, and to give Them My own. And so the Angels, for whom My Desires were Commands, Picked Me up, and Carrying Me on their Wings, brought Me into the Loving Arms of My Celestial Father.”
The Virgin Mary in the Kingdom – Day Eighteen – “I went accompanied only by Saint Joseph, and in him I saw My good Angel whom God had given Me for My custody, though I had cohorts of Angels that accompanied Me on the journey. All created things made bows of honor for Me; and I, Thanking them, gave each created thing My Kiss and My Greeting as Queen.”
The Virgin Mary in the Kingdom – Day Thirty-One – “Dearest child, today your Mama is in feast, because I want to speak to you of my departure from earth to Heaven, on the day in which I completed fulfilling the Divine Will on earth. In fact, there was not one breath, or heartbeat, or step in Me, in which the Divine Fiat did not have Its Complete Act; and this Embellished Me, Enriched Me, Sanctified Me so much, that even the Angels remained Enraptured.”
Prayer: Mary, Virgin, Mother, and Queen, with all the Angels and Saints, we wish to greet You and praise you for the Brilliance of Your Virtues, Now and in all Eternity. Amen.